Does anyone else have trouble advocating for themselves?
Asking for what you need can feel SCARY.
- We risk upsetting, disappointing, or angering others.
- We risk altering others’ perception of us (which, in actuality, is none of our business but it sure feels like it is.)
- We risk changing the relationship in some way.
But gosh, on the other end of advocacy is so much opportunity!
- Opportunity for repair and connection within our relationships
- Opportunity for greater understanding
- Opportunity to get our needs met and increase satisfaction in our job/friendships/family/
It is hard. It is scary. And we must do it anyway. It’s so worth it!
Want to borrow my mantras to pump yourself up?
- “It’s hard to speak up for yourself. It’s hard to keep your needs silent. Choose your hard.”
- “A closed mouth never gets fed.”
- “There is a risk of speaking up. There is a risk of keeping quiet.”
You’ve got this.